QUICK TIPS FOR BUYING A USED MOTORCYCLE IN DALLAS
If you’ve Googled used motorcycles near me, you already know how many options there are in the Dallas area. Whether you’re a new H-D® fan who wants to learn to ride or a seasoned rider looking for a bike upgrade, this guide is for you.
Buying a used motorcycle isn’t like buying a car. Your bike choice impacts your safety, your self-image and your wallet. Here’s where to start when you’re shopping for a new bike near McKinney, Plano or anywhere else around DFW.
FIND THE RIGHT MOTORCYCLE FIT
We get it. Every Harley-Davidson® has a soul. Looking at them creates a deep ache of longing somewhere between your heart and your gut. It's hard to pick just one.
We’re going to stick with Harley® motorcycles here, because we assume if you were looking for a neon green Kawasaki Ninja you’d be reading a different blog.
The right motorcycle for you is one that works with your size and the type of riding you do most frequently. Visit a dealership where you can actually sit on a range of bikes. To find the right fit, think about these things:
- Sport bikes like Harley-Davidson® Street the Harley XR 1200X are sleek, light and nimble. They’re aerodynamic and built to shred corners. Street is a medium-sized upright bike. Sportster® is slightly larger and more powerful.
- Cruisers like the Softail® line each have their own personality on a bigger-body bike. They have a low seat height that makes them a good choice for new riders and people with shorter inseams.
- Touring motorcycles like the Road Glide Special® are built for long hours in the saddle. They’re heavier, with more storage and bigger fuel tanks. For newer riders, that extra weight might be harder to maneuver, but it’s worth the extra effort if you plan to ride cross-country.
Here at Harley-Davidson® of Dallas, we help riders not be limited by their body frame. We can adjust the suspension to fit your height, help you find a different seat or take other steps to help you feel comfortable with your dream ride. See also -- How Much Does Mileage Matter on a Used Motorcycle in Dallas?
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A USED HARLEY
Once you’ve narrowed your search to a specific model, don’t just go by price. Focus on mileage and condition. If you’re buying from a private seller, look for the following:
- signs of leakage
- component corrosion
- tire wear on the tread or sidewalls
- mismatched paint or parts that might sign the bike was wrecked and repaired
- Scratches, dents and dings
- Spongy front or rear brakes
- Signs of excess wear on the drive belt
- Matching VIN and engine numbers
- Battery corrosion
- Low fluid levels
When you turn the ignition, listen for the fuel pump to start. After a few seconds, the engine should start easily and have that deep Harley rumble with no clattering. Verify the mileage and make sure no white smoke comes out of the exhaust.
BUY FROM A TRUSTWORTHY SOURCE FOR USED MOTORCYCLES
Harley-Davidson® of Dallas has a solid reputation in the Allen area because we only sell bikes that are in solid mechanical condition. If you’re looking for a used motorcycle, check out our online inventory or stop by our store today.